Wednesday, April 8, 2009

First of all, I am giga-excited for Berlin. Yeah I lived in Germany and it was awesome, and so I'm sure many people wonder why on earth I'd want to go back rather than visit a country that I've never had the pleasure of visiting. The simple fact is, I am in love with Germany. There are so many things about it that I miss, and so many elements of the culture with which I identify. Also, the food is awesome.  I would probably dance naked in Red Square while spinning plates if it meant that I could have currywurst right now. I also miss and love Turkey. Since I lived there most recently, I always half expect to look out my window and see the dusty, perpetually under construction roads that used to weave around my house. To be honest, I really didn't want to leave Europe (well, Turkey WISHES it were Europe...) and come to America for college. I hadn't been there in like, eight years besides the occasional summer where I'd be trapped in my Grandma's cottage watching Gilligan's Island for three weeks and eating nothing but chocolate pudding and apple jacks. That was my image of America. 
Luckily, I was forced here because of the superior universities, and realized that it's quite the super country. What remains to be a slight problem for me is the fact that I don't fully identify with Americans, let alone any nationality. I mean, I'll occasionally pretend to be full German just to sound more exotic, but really, I'm cultureless. This, my metaphorical wall, prevents me from really having a home. 
Sure, this isn't too unfortunate of a bulwark (I'm very pleased that I got to use "bulwark" today), as I'm sure many would be pleased to have grown up as I have. I assure you, I appreciate every moment of my upbringing, but consider it to be just normal. I actually can't imagine having stayed in one place my whole life, and marvel at the fact that people in this school have known each other for years. The best I could hope for in my schools was two years of a shallow friendship and forced conformity brought on by the sheer tininess of my peer population. So, in some ways, I'm jealous of those who have had roots for life, and can call a place home. I expect that the longer I stay here, the more I'll adjust to America and stop J-walking constantly, start tipping higher, and stop pushing old ladies to get on buses, as was the only way to survive in Germany. Not surprisingly, I've fallen in love with Seattle, and can't wait to break down my wall and feel at home here. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, This was very interesting. I wonder at what point you will start to feel at home here. I wonder if I will ever ever be able to feel at home somewhere else. And, also, everyone goes through conformity issues in high school, no matter the size. :)

    ReplyDelete